meat pies

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Wed Feb 7 17:42:15 UTC 2001

Natalie said James Wilcox said:
>  that meat pies were regular pies (as in apple pies or whatever)
> but contained ground meat along with things like potatoes and onions.
> I asked him if they were like shepherd's pie, and he said sort of but
> not exactly -- that he thought of shepherd's pie as more of a casserole-
> type dish.

My understanding of meat pies was that they were like pasties or those
Hostess fruit pies in that they are small enough to hold in your hand and
eat like a sandwich--but maybe I've misunderstood what I've read about
them.  (Shepherd's pie can be very pie-like or casserole-like.)

Lynne

M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics
University of Sussex