To 86

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Thu Feb 8 16:18:07 UTC 2001

Drew Danielson wrote:
>"Philip E. Cleary" wrote:
>>
>> The following paragraph is from a CNET newsletter, which I received
>> yesterday.
>>
>> <We loved it, you hated it, we rethought it. That's right, in our
>> first take on Netscape 6, we generally gave the new browser the
>> thumbs up. But readers overwhelmingly 86'd the program. >
>>
>> Can anyone translate the verb "to 86" into English?
>
>I haven't a clue as to the origin of the verb, but I have heard it used
>as a synonym to, "to put [sth] in the circular file" and, "to trashcan"
>(or, less savorily, "to [bad word that means poo]can").

Well, given what else I've read about Netscape 6 on various tech
sites, in this instance, "uninstall" is clearly what's meant by "86".
A lot of people have found it very buggy and have gone back to
Netscape 4.7x (no, there never was a version 5!).

Alice
Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963