more on people of color

GEORGE THOMPSON thompsng at ELMER4.BOBST.NYU.EDU
Thu Feb 8 21:25:56 UTC 2001

        I posted a couple of days ago some items from my notes showing the
use of the phrase "people of color" in NYC newspapers of the 1810s.
It occurred to me afterwards that I ought to expand my survey to
"Man/men of color" and "persons of color", and continue it up into
the 1840s, the latter with the thought of finding an indication as to
whether these phrases were falling out of use.  the results are as
follows.  Please note that when I transfer stuff from my word-
processing files to email, letters become lost at random intervals.
I will proof-read these notes before sending them, but don't promise
to catch every bollix-up of this sort.

1814:   [a letter from "A Citizen of Colour," urging Afro-Americans
to volunteer to work on the city fortifications.]
        N-Y E Post, August 20, 1814

1817:   On Thursday last, information was lodged with the Manumission
Society, that a gang of scoundrels were engaged in seducing, and
decoying free men of color, on board a small schooner, called the
Creole, then lying up the North River. . . .
        NY E Post, June 28, 1817, p. 2, cols. 2-3

1817:   [indictment of Moses Nichols and Royal H. Bowen for conspiracy
to kidnap, by "unlawfully devising and intending to oppress and
aggrieve divers persons of colour,"]
        New York County District Attorney's Indictment papers, folder of
July 12, 1817

1817:   Peep at the City of New York -- (by a man of color, and
therefore a curiosity.) ***  "Well," said he, after turning the
corner of the street, "do you see yonder, at the Fly-Market, on the
east side of it, two men of color lying asleep from too great
indulgence of spirituous liquors?"  ***  [signed]  P. S. of C
        The Columbian, August 2, 1817, p. 2, col. 3  [This is a dream
vision, showing the depravity of the city, and is likely to have been
really written "by a man of color".

1819:   Performance by a man of colour, a native of New-York.
        New York Evening Post, July 30, 1819, p. 3, col. 1

1822:   Mr. Brown has opened his Theatre in Mercer street.  The corps
dramatique is composed of ladies and gentlemen of color, who commence
with concerts.
        National Advocate, July 23, 1822, p. 2, col. 1

1823:   GENTLEMEN of Color who are desirous of aiding the cause of the
Greeks, are invited to attend at the Society Room in Orange street. .
. .
        N-Y E Post, December 30, 1823, p. 2, col. 6.  [A announcement
presumably drafted by a gentleman of color.]

1827:   Nicholas S. Pierson Respectfully informs the People of colour,
that his MEAD GARDEN, No. 13 Delancey-street, was opened on the
evening of the first of June, for the accomodation of genteel and
respectable persons of colour.
        Freedom's Journal, June 8, 1827, p. 52, col. 2  {Freedom's Journal
and The Rights of Man were edited by black men.]

1829:   The subscriber takes this method to inform his friends that
he has made arrangements by which his house was reopened on the first
of May, for the accomodation of such respectable persons of colour. .
. .     Rights of All, August 7, 1829, p. 32, col. 2.

1829:   BOARDING.  W. P. JOHNSON respectfully informs his friends and the public, that after the first of May next his house, No. 551 Pearl Street, near Broadway, will be open for the accomodation of respectable Gentlemen of colour.
        Rights of All, August 7, 1829, p. 32, col. 2.

1829:   A large crowd assembled in consequence of this invitation, which was augmented by idlers and curious persons from the streets, people of color and ragged
boys. . . .
        NY E Post, October 3, 1829, p. 2, col. 2

1833:   Amelia and Mitchell Hicks, persons of color, were brought up for turbulent, noisy and riotous conduct in the house N. 246 Elizabeth st.
        NY D Advertiser, December 12, 1833, p. 2, col. 3

1834:   A crowd of boys then fell to work attacking and stoning every colored man from the Battery.  For a considerable time the most disgraceful scenes were witnessed, and order was not restored until every person of color had fled.
        NY D Advertiser, September 24, 1834, p. 2, col. 2

1836:   . . . a garden in Church street, near the African church, where the ladies and gemmen [sic] of color can promenade and luxuriate on creams, &c. &c.
        The Herald, July 26, 1836, p. 1, col. 2

1837:   [a man of color named John Seymour is arrested for stealing an expensive dog.]
        NY Journal of Commerce, March 21, 1837, p. 2, col. 4

1837:   A colored man named Alwood Astrick, who speaks several languages, and possesses many other accomplishments seldom found in a person of color. . . .
        NY Journal of Commerce, December 18, 1837, p. 2, col. 3

1838:   People of Color in England.  [headline]
        Evening Star, August 10, 1838, p. 2, col. 1.

1844:   Celebration of the Anniversary of St. Nicholas by the Gentlemen of Color.  [a long account, mostly in pseudo-black dialect]
        Evening Mirror, December 12, 1844, p. 2, col. 3