Maid-Rite (Iowa "sloppy joes")

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Feb 9 09:39:09 UTC 2001

   Sloppy joes (according to one web posting) have seven names in Iowa:

 Sloppy joe
 Maid Rite (After a chain of stores, but this sandwich does not have ketchup.  It dates to the 1920s.  Not recorded by DARE or John Mariani.)
 Loosemeat sandwich (DARE has this from 1986?)
 Beef burger (Not in DARE.)
 Barbecue sandwich (Not in DARE.)
 Manwich (Not in DARE.)
 Tavern (Supposedly, Sioux City uses "tavern" instead of "sloppy joe.")

   The Iowa Historical Society has a really terrible web site (another "under construction" job).  I had that Library of Congress problem with the phone books.  However, if anyone can find more, please tell me.