Caesar Salad (another Caesar); Zucchini Sticks

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Feb 10 23:21:10 UTC 2001

   I bought a Columbia pass and I'm going through the New York Herald-Tribune and Clementine Paddleford's column.

CAESAR SALAD

31 December 1949, NY H-T, pg. 11, col. 7:

Best Dishes of 1949 Reviewed
List Starts With the Latest: Caesar Salad, in True West Coast Style, Found at Fay Ross's
(...)
   Bob Dalton came to town.  Bob is the owner of the restaurant which carries his name at 1056 South La Cienga, Los Angeles.  He owns the Hally Ho, also the Encore, and caters almost exclusively to the motion-picture trade.  He claims to be the man who introduced Caesar salad around Hollywood.  He didn't originate the novelty, of course; that honor goes to Caesar Hermandez, a head waiter at the Coranado Hotel in San Diego, where his Caesar salad became nothing short of a rave.  Bob Dalton, hearing hymns of praise for the Caesar, hurried to be first to give it menu starring in Hollywood.

(This is probably wrong, although the salad probably did travel from Caesar Cardini's in Tijuana to San Diego--ed.)

ZUCCHINI STICKS

24 Decemer 1949, NY H-T, pg. 11, col. 7:

..Theodore's Restaurant, 4 East Fifty-sixth Street.
(Co. 8--ed.)
Unusual among the vegetables is French fried sticks of eggplant, also zucchini.