Etymology of "bodge"

Gareth Branwyn garethb2 at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Feb 9 21:43:48 UTC 2001

Does anyone here know the origins of the British slang "bodge?" My son
and I have been watching the Brit import "Junkyard Wars" on TLC and the
term is freely used (and creatively applied). From the context, it
obviously means to cobble together, but I was not familiar with the term
beforehand.

They've also used "bodger" and "artful bodger" (as in one who bodges),
"bodgy," "bodge-tastic," "bodgerrific," and similar wacky coinages.