Asian = Oriental, etc.

Natalie Maynor maynor at CS.MSSTATE.EDU
Tue Feb 13 12:06:46 UTC 2001

Rima wrote:

> Granted, people should be called what they wish to be called, but
> didn't Japan call itself The Land of the Rising Sun?

Yes.  And their flag is a flag of the rising sun.

Did any of you happen to watch the Westminster dog show on tv last
night?  I noticed an interesting use of the word "oriental" in the
little bit of it I watched.  The commentator was talking about a
breed of dog called a Japanese Chin and said that one of the desirable
features in a winning Japanese Chin was for it to "look oriental."
Somehow I had never thought of dogs as looking either oriental or
occidental.
   --Natalie Maynor (maynor at ra.msstate.edu)