GOM

Wed Feb 14 13:37:22 UTC 2001

>Beth,

I am from southernmost southern Indiana (the area known
journalistically but never popularly as "Kentuckiana"), namely New
Albany, where "gom sandwich" is unknown (and where German settlement
is not as intense as it was farther north in southern Indiana; in
fact, when then land turns flat, as it is in Columbus, I never think
of it as "southern Indiana").

"Gom," however, exists in that area, particualrly in adjectival and
verbal constructions, e.g., a "gommy mess," "gom something up,"
always suggesting the kind of sloppy, gooey stuff which one would
find in the nearly inedible concoction known as a "sloppy joe/" I
remember my greatr surprise at being servedf what I knew as a sloppy
joe in Madison under the label "bar-b-cue sandwich." I like to
fainted.

DARE shows "gaum" (note the spelling) as a verb (esp. with "up") as
mainly Appalachian but previously more widespread.) Pp. 642-43 of
Vol. 2 contain a pretty thorough treatment of this item and even
extended senses. Although southern Indiana responses are not shown on
the map on p. 642, surrounding areas (southern Illinois, Kentucky, W.
Virginia are indicated).

It's interesting that, although I have the "cot" and "caught" vowels
distinct, I have /gom/ for this this item, and I went automatically
to "gom" in DARE, only to be directed to "gaum." This "gaum,"
however, in the OED, directs us etymologtically to "coom," itself, in
the most likely meanings, pointing to a Germanic "kam" root (examples
from Old Norse) which survives in British dialects, and, given the
strong Appalachian character of the word today, makes me suspect that
it has an Enghlish rather than German background. (The only modern
German cognate given refers to a rather speacialized sense of fungus.)

If I was a bettin' man, I'd reckon that native "gom" (gommy, gommed
up, a gommy mess) was heard for "sloppy" stuff and simply applied
locally to this "messy" sandwich.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston