V-Day ("Vaginism")

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Feb 14 22:47:55 UTC 2001

   A few years ago, I covered on ADS-L an Off-Broadway production called THE VAGINA MONOLOGUES, by Eve Ensler.  Ensler had mentioned several names for the V-thing, and I brought that to the attention of Reinhold Aman of MALEDICTA.  The piece has become something of a phenomenon, and she's been tagged "the vagina lady."
   Last weekend, she had a "V-Day" event at Madison Square Garden, with the money to go to organizations that prevent violence against women.  It's been written up in this week's VILLAGE VOICE (20 February 2001), and there's a photo of Jane Fonda making the sign for Victory against Germany, or Verizon wireless, or maybe she wanted V-8 vegetable juice.
   The writer brought up the old "F-Word"--Feminism.  Pg. 63, col. 2, uses a new word for this movement--Vaginism.