Spatzen and Spaetzle

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Thu Feb 15 15:20:43 UTC 2001

--On Thursday, February 15, 2001 9:22 am +0000 "James A. Landau"
<JJJRLandau at AOL.COM> wrote:

> Are "spatzen" and "spaetzle" the same thing?

Yes, to my knowledge, although I think when it's a dish on its own (first
you boil the dumplings, then you pan-fry them--order some at the Berkoff in
Chicago), it's more likely to be 'spaetzle' (mass noun) or sometimes with
an anglicized plural, 'spaetzles'.  In soup, I say 'chicken soup with
spaetzle' (mass noun).

AHD4 doesn't have it.  First they got rid of 'weck' and 'kummelweck' and
now no spaetzle.  I think they're trying to starve me!  Or is there an
anti-German-American sentiment at AHD?  Kleinedler--aren't you sticking up
for us?

hungrily,
Lynne

Lynne