Yes'm

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Thu Feb 15 16:32:49 UTC 2001

I have no documentation to supply, but that is how I have always
understood/analyzed the expression, in direct parallel to "Yessir". There
are also "Nosir" and "No'm", though less common.

   Mark A. Mandel : Dragon Systems, a Lernout & Hauspie company
          Mark_Mandel at dragonsys.com : Senior Linguist
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com
                     (speaking for myself)

This one came into the ADS web site. Please reply to the sender and/or the
list, but
not to me directly.

Dear Sir:

I am writing with what I believe will be a simple question for you.  I am
looking
for the definition of "yes'm" (pronounced "yessum").  I believe this to be
contraction of the words "yes" and the already contracted "ma'am"; however,
I have been unable to verify this via any dictionaries or websites thus
far.

Any help will be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Sue Hendrix