Spatzen and Spaetzle

Mark Odegard markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 16 05:28:29 UTC 2001

>Some people (elsewhere) use a device (a Spaetzlemaschine -- is it called a
>potato shredder?)

Potato ricer. This exactly resembles certain garlic presses, tho' a ricer is
much much larger. It extrudes the material.

Certain people still rice their boiled potatoes, rather than mashing them,
for what reason I do not know. It makes a huge mess and the potatoes get
cold unless you employ servants.

Depending on starchiness, you might have to knife the extruded potato into
'rice-like' segments as it extrudes thru the ricer.

I can see how one could make noodles with a potato ricer.

Riced potatoes are rather like duchess potatoes -- something you only
experience in an overpriced restaurant.