First Black President

Baker, John JBaker at STRADLEY.COM
Sat Feb 17 18:35:08 UTC 2001

        The "first black president" comment seems to come from a 1997 Chris
Rock routine used in his stand-up comedy show.  The June 4, 1997, issue of
the Sacramento Observer quotes him as saying "It's almost like we have a
Black president."  The Express-News article referenced below implies that a
version of this routine may have been used in 1996, but the article is
unclear.  The episode on the Today Show is referred to in the August 20,
1998, New York Daily News, apparently some time after Rock started using the
phrase onstage.  Toni Morrison used the phrase in the October 5, 1998, issue
of The New Yorker, which was quoted in The Wall Street Journal on September
30, 1998 (i.e., a day or two after it was actually published in The New
Yorker).

John Baker