Proof that "Cajun" = "Brooklynese"

Duane Campbell dcamp911 at JUNO.COM
Wed Feb 21 15:41:44 UTC 2001

I am a dilettante, and I hardly need prove it to this group. But just in
case anyone occasionally got the idea that I had some vague idea what I
was talking about, I pass on the following story.

I was in New Orleans and struck up a conversation with a man in Jackson
Square. His speech was strange, sounding to my ear like a polyglot of
several NYC borough accents.I finally asked him what part of New York he
had originally come from, and he informed me that he had spent his entire
life in Louisiana.

In defense, I subsequently had some experience with pure Cajun, and that
isn't what he was speaking, though there was certainly a Cajun influence.
Whatever it was, it sounded more like the Bronx than Georgia.