Freelance Rage; Son of a Bush; We Kid Because We Care

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Feb 21 21:46:49 UTC 2001

FREELANCE RAGE

   "Rage" is the rage.
   From the VILLAGE VOICE, 27 February 2001, pg. 6, col. 3:

   I thank Cynthia Cotts for coining the term "freelance rage," which so perfectly describes a feeling that is becoming all too familiar to hard-working freelancers everywhere (Press Clips, February 13).

SON OF A BUSH

   A cartoon in today's (21 February 2001) NEW YORK POST shows Saddam getting bombed.  He says: "Son of a Bush!"
   This will probably be used again.

WE KID BECAUSE WE CARE

   One sports newscaster uses this as a catchphrase.  He'll cruelly rip into someone for poor defense, lousy pitching, whatever, and then say "We kid because we care."
   Don't know if Fred Shapiro has this.

FLYNN'S WEEKLY DETECTIVE (IN LIKE FLYNN)

   FLYNN'S WEEKLY DETECTIVE had a number of various titles (see WorldCat).  The NYPL has none of them, but the LOC has it.  It might be the source of "in like Flynn."  This was brought to my attention by the person who queried here recently about 1930s detective slang.

CHESS TOURNAMENT (completely, totally off-topic)

  It was, ahem, 1977 that I first entered the U.S. Amateur Team Championship.  I was a teenager.  I essentially gave up chess that year; I certainly gave it up a year later.  I'd play every once in a while at the team tournament.  Although I've been a master for over 20 years, I'm still not even a life master (over 200 rated games?).
  I went 5-0 that tournament.  Joel Benjamin was the fourth (last) board.
  This indeed was a "chess emergency."  My friend's mother passed away within 48 hours of his call.
  In round three, I lost a game because I looked at the digital clock and saw I had 35 seconds left.  I made a stupid move.  "You had 35 MINUTES," my opponent told me later.  Oh.
  I  beat a few experts, lost to an International Master, and in the last round was paired against Joel Benjamin.
  Benjamin is now an International Grandmaster, and was winner of the last U.S. Chess Championship.  His father had recently passed away.
  I hadn't played at all in eight years and had zero preparation.
  It was a tough, about four-hour, about 50 move battle.  I had a drawn game, but made some mistakes in time pressure and he won.
  Back to retirement.