Nu-Shu

David M. Robertson dmsnake at USIT.NET
Thu Feb 22 03:01:31 UTC 2001

D. Ezra Johnson wrote:

> This thread reminded me of something I saw on TV a long time ago, I have no
> idea where. Some town in Montana, Wyoming, or Idaho (or thereabouts) where a
> local slang or jargon was used for communication. I believe the program
> interviewed people at a diner, but I'm not talking about your typical
> short-order slang, this was something unusual.
>
> Anyone know what?

The scholars among us will probably be able to point to a number of instances of
such things, but the one I remember having seen treated several times in the
popular media is Boontling.

Boontling was (probably still is) used by residents of Boonville in Northern
California. The term for a resident of Boonville is "Boont," thus Boontling is
short for Boont Lingo.

  Snake