journalist's request

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Feb 22 13:36:36 UTC 2001

At 4:22 PM -0800 2/22/01, James Smith wrote:
>--- Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:
>>  And others say it's 'indifference'.
>>
>>  larry
>
>I don't know if he was the first to say it, but Nobel
>Prize (Peace?) winner Elie Weissel (sp?) has been
>quoted as saying that the opposite of love is
>indifference.

In fact, Elie Wiesel said this in his acceptance speech after winning
the 1986 Nobel Peace Prize:

"If there is one word that describes all the woes and threats that
exist today, it is indifference. You see a tragedy on television for
three minutes and then comes something else. How many tragedies have
we seen recently? How many wars, how much suffering has been reported
to us? There are so many tragedies, a sense of helplessness sets in.
People become numb. They become indifferent.

Indifference, to me, is the epitome of evil. The opposite of love is
not hate. It's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness,
it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's
indifference. The opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.
Because of indifference, one dies before one actually dies."

larry