dialect in novels

Fri Feb 23 12:34:55 UTC 2001

>Eye-dialect refers to spellings which do not indicate any actual
>change in  the way words are pronounced. The best example is "sez."
>Of course, everybody says "sez" (except people who haven't learned
>English yet, with apologies to those who speak dialects with minor
>variations in the mid-front lax vowel). Eye-dialect is there to
>simply give "flavor" to the speaker (and, as I have shown in several
>articles, that flavor is always status- and intellegence-lowering).

Unfortunately, some have started to use the term "eye-dialect" to
refer to respellings which attempt to capute some fact of
pronunciation (e.g., allegro speech forms such as "gonna" or actual
regional prpmunciaion "tahm' for "time"). I prefer to reserve
eye-dialect for the more limited territory outlined above (the
original sense), but that will just prove what a conservative old
codger I am.

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages