Fwd: "Greek salad"?

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Feb 24 08:58:23 UTC 2001

   I just received an order for "Greek Salad."
   From John Ayto's A GOURMET'S GUIDE: FOOD & DRINK FROM A TO Z:

   _Greek Salad_
Greek salad consists of tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, and feta cheese, often enlivened with an assortment of herbs.  Its Greek name is _khoriattikisalata_, which means literally "country-Attic-salad" (Attica is the area around Athens).
(No date because Ayto realized there's no OED entry--ed.)

   See the recent ADS-L archives for my antedate of "fetta cheese."
   From THE GREEK COOKBOOK (Crown Publishers, 1967) by Sophia Skoura, pg. 16:

_COUNTRY SALAD_   SALATA HORIATIKI
10-12 small plum tomatoes
2-3 cucumbers
2 small onions
1 green pepper
1/2 pound feta cheese (more or less to taste)
salt and pepper to taste
olives
   Clean and cut the tomatoes into bite-sized pieces.  Cut the cucumbers.  Mince the onions and peppers.  Cut up the feta cheese.  Place all these in a bowl, add olives.  Season.  Toss well.  Serve with oil-and-vinegar.  Serves 6 to 8.

May 1958, GOURMET magazine recipe index:
   _Miscellaneous_
(...)
Salad, Pappas' Greek...66

March 1964, GOURMET magazine recipe index:
   _Salads_
(...)
Greek Easter Salad...50

November 1968, GOURMET magazine recipe index:
   _Vegetables and Salads_
(...)
Greek Salad...112

May 1971, GOURMET magazine recipe index:
   _Vegetables and Salads_
(...)
Greek Salad...70