(off-list) Re: Creole languages (was Who is Eddy Peters?)

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Sun Feb 25 19:37:03 UTC 2001

Thank you for taking the trouble to comment on my posting.  No substantive
comments at the moment, but I may come up with some later.

I have long had the idea that English is the way it is because it's a creole,
but I've never been able to get anyone to examine the idea seriously.

There is a book entitled "World of the Huns" (I don't have the author's name
handy) which includes several pages dealing with trying to track Hunnish and
other "barbarian" names through their Chinese transliterations.

Not relevant, but: A seven-year-old girl, whose parents are native Mandarin
speakers and who is apparently being raised Mandarin-English bilingual,
listened to a conversation in Cantonese and remarked, "It sounds like a
battle."

                     - Jim Landau

P.S.  Did you notice the misspelling of "entomologist"?