clementines, again

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Mon Feb 26 14:14:39 UTC 2001

I bought a bag of clementines, and needed nutritional info on them, so I searched the web and found lots of sites that discuss any differences between clementines, mandarins, tangerines, etc.  Here are a couple, in case anyone's still interested.

A Mandarin by Any Other Name? by  Nutricise columnist Nancy Rommelmann
http://www.efit.com/servlet/article/nutrition/673.html

http://www.thefruitpages.com/oranges.shtml

Most places say that the clementine is a seedless mandarin/tangerine--however the clementines at my supermarket have a sign that says "may contain seeds," which seems to indicate that clementines are
expected not to have seeds, but may have them.  The one I just ate had 2 seeds in each of half of the sections.  They had two varieties of clementines (or maybe these are two sources)--Fortuna and Clementula. Everyone goes on about how sweet clementines are, but I was struck by how acidic this one was.  Perhaps I should eat more before making judgments....

Lynne

M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics
University of Sussex