(off-list) Re: Creole languages (was Who is Eddy Peters?)

lesa.dill lesa.dill at WKU.EDU
Mon Feb 26 21:13:09 UTC 2001

Yes, I agree with Sali.  Maybe "creolization" is the only term we have to
account for what happens in the drastic sorts of hbyridization situations that
occur between two languages.  But it's certainly not accurate or precise in
the case of English.  Pidgins and creoles are different, obviously.  But what
happened in English (several times) is far from uncommon.  We need to
concentration more on hybridization phenomena and find ways of classifying
degrees of language change pre- and post-contact (if we can put an arbitrary
date to it). Then there's problem of the two contact types--outlier and
familial (if there turns out to really be such a thing--our language may have
messed us up again)--not to mention contact and later recontact.  If we figure
out how to assess all this, our Indo-European tree model is strained--because
of all the "incest," so to speak.  Linnaeus and his followers indirectly did
us more harm than we may ever want to admit.