Melonade & more

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Feb 27 06:59:01 UTC 2001

MELONADE

   OED will probably overlook this, but it's been around.
   From THIS WEEK magazine, NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 9 July 1961, pg. 15, col. 1:

   Melonade is another watermelon recipe which has had frequent curtain calls.  "I have lost my recipe for that Watermelon-Lemonade Ice," writes Mrs. Kenneth Israel of Detroit.  "Do you remember it?"  I remembered.  The recipe was from Rosa Hart of Lake Charles, La., as made by cook Rachel.  Rachel suggested a variation, "Sometimes I use cantaloupe.  It comes gold as the Sweet Chariot."
(...)
_Watermelon-Lemonade Ice_
2 cups sieved watermelon pulp
1 can (6 ounces) frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
1 lemonade can of water
2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
Combine watermelon pulp, lemonade and water.  Pour into freezing tray.  Freeze until mushy.  Place in chilled bowl.  Add egg whites; mix thoroughly.  Return to tray.  Freeze until firm, stirring once or twice during freezing.  Yield: 1 1/2 pints melonade.

PINA COLADA

   "Tropical Coolers Beat the Heat" is the Clementine Paddleford column in the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 3 August 1961, pg. 12.  She discusses the rum drinks at Trader Vic's.  Included are:  Planter's Punch, Pineapple Surprise, Poco Coco Loco, Rum Daiquiri, Trader Vic's Grog, and Muy Fuerte.
   No Pina Colada.
   Trader Vic's would include "pina colada" in an 1968 article (see ADS-L archives).

ALLEN WALKER READ IN NYHT

   There's a great article on the "rebel yell" and Allen Walker Read (with photo) in the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 16 June 1961, pg. 17.
   Sorry I'm late with this, but my newspaper delivery isn't what it used to be.

WHEN AN IMMOVABLE OBJECT MEETS AN IRRESISTIBLE FORCE

   Fred Shapiro must have this somewhere.  I can't find it easily in some of my books here (Eric Partridge; Greg Titelman; Bartlett's; Oxford Dictionary of Phrase, Saying & Quotation; et al.).
   "Immovable Object and Irresistible Force" is the caption of an Uncle Sam cartoon in the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 19 June 1961, pg. 20, col. 4.

EOB (ENEMIES OF BILL)

   "Reno & Reich among EOBs: Enemies of Bill" was in the NEW YORK POST, 26 February 2001, pg. 10, cols. 3-4, about a story in this week's NEW YORKER.