dialect in novels

John Rickford rickford at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Tue Feb 27 16:27:24 UTC 2001

Hi Arnold:

I can't think of a recent novel or short story offhand, but media coverage
of the Ebonics controversy produced lots of inept representations,
including Jack White's "Ebonics According to Buckwheat" column for Time
(Jan 13, 1997), and other examples discussed in the "Media" and "Ebonics
Humor" chapters of _Spoken Soul_ (the book I wrote with my son Russell
last year).  And of course there are lots of similar examples from
minstreal parodies of the 19th century.  Hope this is helpful.

John