Ameliorated words of offensive origin

Victoria Neufeldt vneufeldt at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Wed Feb 28 22:58:14 UTC 2001

You're right, Jesse.  David Guralnik told me this story years ago.  He and
an editor had heard somebody say this (but with "doo-doo", not "doggy-doo")
while they were waiting for a light on a street corner in Cleveland a number
of years earlier.  He also told the story to Enid Pearsons.  See the
Dictionary Society of North America Newsletter, Spring 2000.

But it is so typical of a common attitude toward language in the present
time that I wouldn't be surprised to learn that many people had
independently heard something very similar.

Victoria Neufeldt
1533 Early Drive
Saskatoon, Sask.
S7H 3K1