nookie

Mike Salovesh t20mxs1 at CORN.CSO.NIU.EDU
Tue Jan 2 21:31:34 UTC 2001

Laurence Horn wrote:

> Is "nook" really obsolescent?  We had a "breakfast nook" in our
> apartment when I was growing up and I've come across various "shady
> nooks" and "quiet nooks" since, not to mention "nooks and crannies".
> It's a lovely old word, going back to the 14th century, and I prefer
> to think that rumors of its obsolescence are somewhat, if not
> grossly, exaggerated.  Now, CRANNY...
>
> larry

Oh, come on now . . .  "cranny" itself isn't obsolete.  It only becomes
so when combined with the obsolete observation that "it's the berries".

Then there was the stroke of genius that created the great title for a
mystery novel:  "Every crook and nanny".

-- mike salovesh                    <salovesh at niu.edu>
PEACE !!!