Milk Bar (corrected)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jan 3 01:23:17 UTC 2001

   Greetings from New York City.  The "Milk Bar" posting was rushed (hey, I
made my plane) and I wrote 1936 instead of 1935.  Here goes again:

>From OED:
20 November 1935, FORRES GAZ--The milk bar, or place where milk drinks are
sold, is a popular institution all over Australia and plans are on foot for
installing them in Britain.

November 1934 Melbourne telephone directory
   I didn't see "Milk Bar" in a quick check of it.

>From SYDNEY MORNING HERALD index ("Milk Bar" head):
3 August 1935, pg. 16a--Opened in Fleet-street by Hugh D. McIntosh.
28 November 1935, pg. 12c--Mr. Hugh D. McIntosh opens a second milk bar in
the stock exchange building (London).

UPCOMING:  I'll try to meet Frank Abate for lunch when I head up to CT to
research the "grinder."
   I'll continue my nationwide yellow pages "phonebook food" series and check
for California sushi roll (Los Angeles 1970s), Buffalo wings (Buffalo,
1960s-1970s), chimichanga (Tucson, 1960s), hoagie (Philadelphia, 1940s),
grinder (New London and New Haven, CT, 1950s)and more.