Teletype Corp.,"chad," B. Popik

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Wed Jan 3 22:17:29 UTC 2001

   Earlier today I posted an e-mail I had received Mr. Chris Jensen
and commented that his mention of "The Teletype Corporation" might
furnish a lead as to who introduced "chad" into telegraphy jargon.

    I just noticed that Barry Popik had already drawn attention to the
Teletype Corporation a month ago. So Jensen's information jibes with
Barry's and brings the date of Teletype usage back to 1952, while
Barry had already taken the lead a step further (recommending that
authors Adams and Butler be contacted).

---Gerald Cohen