"Jock"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Fri Jan 5 00:14:37 UTC 2001

yOn Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Tymkovich wrote:

> Does anyone know when the word "jock" first was used to describe a person
> skilled in sports?  Specifically, was it in use in the 1910-1930 era?

No, I don't think so.  I believe that "preppie," "jock" and "wonk" all
originated as part of a tripartite division of Harvard students in the
1950s, perhaps a little earlier.  The earliest citation I have found for
"jock" is from the Harvard Crimson, 21 Feb. 1958; I contributed this to
the Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang, which printed it
as their first use.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,