"Jock"

Peter Richardson prichard at LINFIELD.EDU
Fri Jan 5 19:26:28 UTC 2001

I remember working on our high-school yearbook in about '58, when we
managed to sneak past the faculty censor this racy little addition to the
common "Best of..." category that is a staple of HS yearbooks:

Best athletic supporter:        Jacques Strappe

The connection to _jock_ 'athlete' isn't manifest here, I'll admit, but at
least the word has entered the human sphere as someone who supports
athletics. I'm not absolutely certain, but it seems to me that at that
time we did use _jock_ to mean 'athlete.' This was in northern Illinois.

Peter R.