"Franken-" meaning genetically modified

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Mon Jan 8 16:52:16 UTC 2001

"James A. Landau" <JJJRLandau at AOL.COM> writes:

First, "genetically modified" is an inadequate synonym if not an incorrect
definition.  The "Franken-" part means "potentially if not active harmful" or
perhaps "frightening".  It just happens that this particular citation was
about genetically modified food.

Second, I have found a 1967 citation for "Franken-".  It is in a science
fiction story "To Love Another" by James Blish and Norman L. Knight that
was
published in the April 1967 issue of Analog Science Fiction.  A sideplot in
the story concerns the raising of something called "slimes" (presumably
fungi, but it is not made clear).  One of these slimes has something go
wrong
with it and turns carnivorous.  At the bottom of page 23 column 2 somebody
says "we have a Frankenslio deal with."
                ***********
<<<<<

(Just to get it out of the way, I assume that "Frankenslio" is a slip of
the finger or Net for "Frankenslime to".)

I disagree with your analysis of "Franken-" as merely "'potentially if not
active harmful' or perhaps 'frightening'". IMHO, a basic semantic component
of the prefix is parallel to the difference between Frankenstein's monster
and, say, King Kong or Dracula: a result of Meddling In Things Man Was Not
Meant To Know.

Dr. Frankenstein's sin of hubris was his desire to create life, a power
which in the story/legend rightfully belongs only to God and which no
mortal can aspire to without disaster. That, to my mind, is the direct link
between the Monster and genetic engineering.

In the Blish/Knight citation it is not completely clear from your
description whether these slimes are a product of human meddling in the
stuff of life (whether intentional or otherwise). If they are and one of
them goes bad (as a human "goes bad" rather than as an apple does!), the
parallel with Mary Shelley's premiss is established, and my case is
supported.

   Mark A. Mandel : Dragon Systems, a Lernout & Hauspie company
          Mark_Mandel at dragonsys.com : Senior Linguist
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com
                     (speaking for myself)