"Jazz" and Ken Burns

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Tue Jan 9 18:35:57 UTC 2001

    Re: Barry Popik's letter to the San Francisco Chronicle:

   The S.F. Chronicle may or may not print his letter. But it is only
a matter of time until the San Francisco newspapers pick up on the
story about San Francisco's role in the "jazz" story.

   What concerns me most now is Barry's mention that much of his work
on "jazz" has disappeared from the old ADS archives:

>         FWIW, I checked the old archives, and most of my work on
>"jazz" (Jazz in San Francisco 1913-1919, Jazz in Chicago 1914-1917,
>Jazz in New Orleans
>1916-1918, Jazz in Wisconsin 1916-1917, Jazz in New York 1917) is gone!

      Fortunately,  I have already written up some (most?) of Barry's
San Francisco 1913-1919 material. But if he has copies of his other
"jazz" material missing from the archives, I will print it this
spring in my _Comments on Etymology_ to be sure it is preserved.

---Gerald Cohen