New Haven's Apizza, Grinder & Hamburger

Pearsons, Enid epearsons at RANDOMHOUSE.COM
Thu Jan 11 16:18:27 UTC 2001

"Apizza" (or some spelling variation of that, but certainly with the initial
"a") hit Bridgeport with a bang around 1948, as I dimly recall.  I do
remember the pronunciation, though: ah-BEETS.  In spite of the restaurant
signs, the more frequent designation was just plain  "pie."