"Native American" and variations thereof (2)

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Fri Jan 12 04:25:35 UTC 2001

> > P.S. I do not know why the people called "Eskimo" in the United States are
> > known as "Inuit" in Canada.

This is probably the reason:

"The Arctic peoples of Canada and Greenland in general prefer the term
Inuit, while those of Alaska still generally favour the term Eskimo." -- E.
Britannica (Web)

"The term Eskimo, refused by other Inuit groups, is currently used with no
despective [sic] sense in Alaska." -- "Inuit" ("Inupiaq/Yupik") Web page

No surprise, since the Inuit constitute the vast majority of Canadian and
Greenland Eskimos, while the Yupik (who are Eskimos but not Inuit) are
numerous (a majority I think) among Eskimos in the US (Alaska). Eskimos in
Russia are relatively few. After Greenland, US, Canada, I think the country
with the most Eskimos is Denmark? [I use 'Inuit' and 'Yupik' and 'Eskimo'
as used by "Ethnologue".]

Aleuts are not Eskimos, although closely related. Athabaskans are not
Eskimos, and are not closely related to Eskimos.

-- Doug Wilson