INDIAN vs. INJUN

Donald M. Lance LanceDM at MISSOURI.EDU
Fri Jan 12 22:25:13 UTC 2001

Nigra is dialectal for Negro.  In some Southern lects, the vowel in Negro shortens before
the consonant cluster, and schwa is the unmarked pronunciation of final vowels of all
spellings,  The people who say Nigra think they are saying Negro, and they are, but
naysayers want to insist on the nay.
DMLance