gender differences in non-verbal communication

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jan 14 03:57:00 UTC 2001

At 4:42 PM +0100 1/14/01, Michal Lisecki wrote:
>Dear ADS subscribers,
>
>I've been trying to gather materials for a paper on non-verbal
>language use by different sexes. Although I am going to concentrate
>in the paper mainly on the Internet communication (any communication
>systems within the medium) I would be interested in any hints on the
>latest writings/findings in the field.
When I was teaching a course in language and gender last year, I
posted a request on fling (a list on feminist linguistics) for
pointers on gender differences in computer-mediated/on-line
conversation.  I reproduce here the replies I received; note that as
you asked some of these do involve web sites where you can track down
some recent research on the topic.  Perhaps Vicky Bergvall's note of
warning will also be useful.

larry