Computer Proverbs

Gareth Branwyn garethb2 at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Jan 15 00:11:47 UTC 2001

Here are a few off the top of my head. I'll go through my files and send
others ASAP:

RTFM! (Read the Fucking Manual)

Your mileage may vary

Off the grid

The blue screen of death (a dead computer)

Imminent death of the Net predicted! (a running joke about the perennial
stories of the Net's pending demise. Used when someone starts doomsaying on a
Net bulletin board)

Information wants to be free

The Net perceives censorship as damage and routes around it.

Waving a dead chicken (having exhausted all the obvious fixes to a computer
problem and starting on more irrational measures, i.e. resorting to voodoo)

Problem exists between chair and keyboard, or PEBCAK (tech support slang for
user error)

Plate o' shrimp! (Used in online discussion when a strong coincidence occurs.
Taken from a scene in the movie Repo Man.)