Arab & the camel [was Re: Chomsky, Labov, Cassidy,Lakhoff,Dilliard, McDavid,Nixon in 1974.]

Thomas Paikeday t.paikeday at SYMPATICO.CA
Wed Jan 17 02:03:38 UTC 2001

Doug Wilson,

Many thanks for going out of your way to research this. I just checked
the 1990 database of contemporary American English I used in my
_User's(R) Webster_ and there is evidence of the story's being a
broadcast item, like "[The regulators] fear the federal camel will stick
its nose into the states' tent" (Best's Review, Dec. 1990). Oral
testimony, of course, is much better on this issue.

I too think the Proverbs book (DAP, 1992) missed a whole lot of evidence
(Well, it's not exactly DARE, e&oe).

As for a Greek fable becoming a Malayalam proverb, my speculation is
Greek influence. Ancient Greeks used to trade for spices on the Malabar
coast.

Cheers!
Tom Paikeday