crumpets & muffins

Joe Pickett Joe_Pickett at HMCO.COM
Thu Jan 18 21:01:27 UTC 2001

The Americanization of the Potter books is even stranger, given the fact
that most American kids are raised on Disney Britophilia such as Peter Pan,
Alice in Wonderland, 101 Dalmatians, Mary Poppins, The Sword in the Stone
(though recall the American-accented Arthur), The Great Mouse Detective
(one of my favorites), and many others.  If kids can get the Caterpillar
and Mad Hatter, why not the philosopher's stone?

But I think the Americanization of the Potter books actually was fairly
limited. For instance, Harry's friend Ron often uses the word "git" for
schoolmates he doesn't like. This word is not in most American dictionaries
and is unfamiliar to American kids and to most of their parents as well.

Joe

Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on 01/18/2001
02:32:36 AM

Please respond to American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>

Sent by:  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>