crumpets & muffins (ON HARRY POTTER)

Your Name Lina.Hawkins at BERLITZGLOBALNET.COM
Thu Jan 18 21:10:56 UTC 2001

The following article appeared in "Teachers in Focus" magazine.

             PARENTAL OBJECTIONS

        Parents in South Carolina, California, Nebraska, Georgia and
Minnesota have complained to public school administrators about the Harry
Potter series's inclusion of gore, evil and death. Among the concerns about
the first installment, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone:

        Witchcraft

         The book's main characters engage in occultic and Wiccan-style
exercises. Harry and his colleagues routinely practice sorcery, cast
spells, fly on broomsticks and talk with spirits of the dead.

      Gruesome Imagery

       Author J.K. Rowling incorporates graphic depictions, including
a professor whose leg is mangled by a three-headed dog; a mysterious figure
who is caught drinking blood from a unicorn carcass; Lord Voldemort's
horrific appearance as a ghastly face on the back of a professor's head;
and Nearly Headless Nick-a ghost whose head is barely attached.

     Disrespect

    Harry frequently-and unapologetically-lies, breaks rules and
disobeys authority figures, including the professors at Hogwarts. He
specifically disregards a direct order from one of his teachers and takes
off on a broom. Instead of being punished, Harry is honored for his riding
skills.

    Vengeance

    Harry resents his cruel relatives and-rather than extending
forgiveness-is eager for retribution. Upon returning to family members at
the end of the school year, Harry is pleased at the opportunity to torment
them.

   Family Friendly Libraries (FFL), which keeps parents informed
about questionable content in popular books, has a detailed analysis of the
Harry Potter series available on its Web site (www.fflibraries.org). In
response, the American Library Association has denounced FFL's supposed
efforts to "ban" Harry Potter. At presstime, the ALA reportedly had plans
to laud Rowling at an upcoming meeting in San Antonio.

     For her part, Rowling doesn't believe her books should be off
limits to anyone.

    "I don't think you should censor kids' reading material," she
told reporters. "It's important just to let them go do what they need to
do."

        John Andrew Murray is Headmaster at St. Timothy's-Hale in
Raleigh, N.C.

        This article appeared in Teachers in Focus magazine.