Shitcom

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jan 21 03:51:25 UTC 2001

   I saw Steven Berkoff's one-man show, SHAKESPEARE'S VILLAINS: A MASTERCLASS IN EVIL, today at the Public Theater.  Go see it--it's been extended.  The guy is funny.  His web site is:
www.east-productions.demon.co.uk
   My companion this time was an actress from Australia (wherever that is).  Unfortunately, I didn't take her to COPENHAGEN so we could sleep together on the first date.
   Berkoff said that you often see "star" actors doing Shakespeare, such as those from "shitcoms."
   Shitcoms?
   I very rarely hear "shitcom"--perhaps because you can't say "shit" on tv.  My date told me that it isn't used in Australia.  It's not in the GB-leaning CASSELL DICTIONARY OF SLANG.
   Anybody run across it before?
   FWIW, Berkoff things that "Puck" is a little euphemism that his audiences recognized.