"son of a gun"

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Mon Jan 22 02:23:39 UTC 2001

   Whoops. Fred Shapiro correctly points to a chronological
discrepancy in what I said about "gun" in "son of a gun" deriving
from British cant "gun" (thief).
A check of Eric Partridge's _A Dictionary of the Underworld_ shows
that "gun" (thief) is first attested in 1857, too late to appear in
"son of a gun."

     I withdraw my suggestion.

---Gerald Cohen