Quiche Lorraine, etc.

Mark Odegard markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 19 18:31:12 UTC 2001

--
This year my wife came home with a demi case of 'Clementines' from Spain
which looked like tangerines but with the tight skin of an
orange. I had never heard of Clementines.
--

I've been aware of these for, oh, almost 20 years, where they were available
in New York City specialty shops (Fairway, etc).

I would not characterize the clementine's skin as 'tight', tho' we may be
speaking of different qualities. My experience is that, once you puncture
the skin, the whole rind comes off easily, almost as a single unit, leaving
absolutely no pith against the meat.

Clementines are super-sweet, almost like candy.

They are not 'keepers' in the sense oranges are. They go bad quick. This
perhaps deterred American growers from raising them, tho' I've seen
elsewhere on the net that the penetration of the European fruit (mostly from
Spain) has sent the American citrus industry into overdrive: clementines are
killing the market for tangerines.