Poor Boy (1931); Elizabeth Gibbens

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jan 23 08:21:54 UTC 2001

POOR BOY (1931)

   The LOC had no New Orleans telephone book before 1932.  I found some more stuff in 1932 under "sandwiches" and used a City Directory.  The name "poor boy" seems to have taken off after 1929.

1931 SOARDS' NEW ORLEANS CITY DIRECTORY (microfilmed in CITY DIRECTORIES OF THE U.S., Segment IV, 1902-1935), pg. 1139, col. 2:
Poor Boy Sandwich Shop (Mrs Amelia Weidenbacher)
605 Dyades

1932, NEW ORLEANS CLASSIFIED TELEPHONE DIRECTORY, pg. 108, col. 2:
PO BOI SANDWICH SHOPPE INC.
(...)
3115 Calhoun...WAlnut-2314

Poor Boy Sandwich Shop
1414 N. Claiborne...FRanklin-6404

ELIZABETH GIBBENS

   This is from the January/February 2001 ARRIVE (a magazine of Amtrak), pg. 38, col. 1:

   Are you clueless about clothes?  Do the fashion police have you on their "Most Wanted" list?  Elizabeth Gibbens wants to help you.

   Could it be?  Elizabeth Gibbens was once William Safire's assistant.  Unlike Safire's current assistant, she actually talked to me and even joined the ADS.
   She once posted here about "vintage clothing."  The computer databases show she's written for publications such as GQ.
   Gibbens said that she was from Louisiana, but was living in Washington, D.C.  This article states that Pennington Style Consultants is based in DC, and the e-mail is BayouMuse at earthlink.net.
   From pg. 39, col. 1:

   At $650-$1,000 a pop for guided tours of New York's fashion corridors, and $50 an hour for personal shopping trips in your home town, Elizabeth's services don't come cheap.

(Maybe I don't need the answer to "boxers or briefs" THAT much--ed.)