changed words in Harry Potter books

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Tue Jan 23 15:48:39 UTC 2001

"James A. Landau" <JJJRLandau at AOL.COM> writes:

I found one usage of "git" in this sense by a US author, the science fiction
writer Lois McMaster Bujold, in _Vor Game_ (New York: Baen Books, 1990, ISBN
0-671-72014-7, page 261:

<BEGIN QUOTE>

    "...The Barrayaran emperor, Gregor Vorbarra, was kidnapped.  I found
him,
lost him, and mow I've got to get him back.  As you can imagine, I expect
the
reward for his safe return to be substantial."
    Tung's face was a study in appalled enlightenment.  "That skinny
neurasthenic git you had in tow before---that wasn't him, was it?"

<END QUOTE>
<<<<<

And for what it's worth, Tung doesn't use other Briticisms, IIRC. Although
Bujold describes characteristic accents, in what is presumably English, of
different planets (and Barrayar has four official languages: English,
Russian, French, and Greek), I don't recall her generally using vocabulary
as a distinguishing mark of origin so much as of individuals.

(There are exceptions, such as Ethan of Athos asking "What's a wife?": with
the aid of uterine replicator technology, Athos, founded by religious
fanatics, has no women at all.)

For info on this author, see http://www.dendarii.com/.

-- Mark A. Mandel
       Personal home page: http://world.std.com/~mam/