Naff

Grant Barrett gbarrett at MONICKELS.COM
Wed Jan 24 10:14:29 UTC 2001

We've discussed this Britishism before, but this comes from today's New York
Observer. What are the odds it's true?

http://www.observer.com/pages/simon.asp

"I recently found out the origin of the word naff. Now widely used in the U.K. to
mean "a depressing lack of style," naff was originally a gay slang acronym for "Not
Available For Fucking," i.e., "straight" (i.e., "dreary"). Naff is a great word with no
American translation. Remember, tacky means "cheap or glitzy," whereas naff is about
stylistic shortcomings which are horrifyingly average and pathetically un-groovy. Use
the word naff and become a connoisseur of naff. After all, it is a vanishing
commodity"

--
Grant Barrett

http://www.worldnewyork.org/