comma splice (run-on clauses)

Wed Jan 24 19:31:08 UTC 2001

As an old comp teacher (now I occasionally teach the teaching of writing in
ESL), I was a stickler for the semi-colon--not prescriptively, but because
it should, and when used correctly does, mark in print the very pauses and
intonation changes you mention.  This half-pause helps in fast and accurate
reading (=decoding), so that one doesn't have to backtrack and mentally
readjust the parsing of the sentence.  Conjunctions can substitute, of
course, but sometimes a pause alone is sufficient, as in the sentence cited
below; yet I still want a clear signal of the degree of pausing (or
intonational rise) that would presumably be marked in speech, and the
semi-colon provides that (a period is a bit too definite).  Unfortunately,
my grad students (and many colleagues!) seem not to have ever heard this
rationale and think I'm just being "fussy."