"there is no such thing as bad publicity"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Jan 24 21:58:42 UTC 2001

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:

> The 1958 quote below is not really the same aa the quote in question, I first
> heard the exact phrase "there is no such thing as bad publicity" from the
> mouth of STanley Fish in the later 1980s, though I can't prove it with any
> written cite.
>
> I always assumed that Stanley made up the phrase himself. Her certainly
> believed it.

The famous formulation, which has attained proverbial status, is "The only
bad publicity is no publicity."  This has been around for many decades, I
am sure.  I'll try to research it.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,