Conversate and basically

Wed Jan 24 23:16:49 UTC 2001

As Mark Odegard pointed out, forms like "conversate" proliferate, and while
I might not personally use them (partly because of age, partly because of
stylistic "fussiness"), I hate to put labels on them and especially to lump
them under "standard" and "nonstandard" heads.  I'm also reluctant to
project personal motivations (or lack thereof) from such usage; neither
"charming" nor "lazy" has any place in such discussions, it seems to
me.  (I had to chide one of my TAs just today for telling his class people
are naturally "lazy" in their speech; the problem is that some students
will inevitably accuse certain groups, but never their own, as "lazy"
speakers.)

So "de gustibus..." notwithstanding, I reject taste-based labels like
"yucky," or "it sticks in my craw," or "it makes me want to vomit."  And
even I can change:  I used to say I'd _never_ use "finalize," and now I
catch myself doing so!