Conversate and basically

Mark Odegard markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 25 00:30:49 UTC 2001

>Personally, the word conversate leaves a yucky taste in my mouth. If it
>becomes more popular, then it probably will stop doing so. Just as I've
>come
>to like asparagus and broccoli, one day I might come to like conversate.
>Right now, however, I don't. And even though I think it still sounds silly,
>"That's not my fortay," no longer sounds yucky to me.
>
>Benjamin Barrett

Rather like orientate and commentate. In this case, they actually have a
different sense than the shorter verb. Orientate is what companies and
colleges do to new employees/students. Commentate is what talking-heads do
off the tops of their heads, vs the thoughtful stuff you get in other
contexts.

Conversate, tho', does not have a distinct meaning from 'converse'. It's an
unnecessary word.